- Max Black (1954). “Metaphor,” Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, 55, pp. 273–294.
- David E. Cooper. (1989) Metaphor. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Jacques Derrida. (1982). "White Mythology: Metaphor in the Text of Philosophy." In Margins of Philosophy. Trans. Alan Bass. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Eva Feder Kittay. (1987) Metaphor: Its Cognitive Force and Linguistic Structure. Oxford: Clarendon Press. Original work published 1974
- George Lakoff. (1987). Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things: What Categories Reveal about the Mind. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- George Lakoff and Mark Turner (1989). More than Cool Reason: A Field Guide to Poetic Metaphor. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- George Lakoff and Mark Johnson. (1999) Philosophy in the Flesh: The Embodied Mind and its Challenge to Western Thought. New York: Basic Books.