In the summer of 1858 Nietzsche's mother, Franziska Nietzsche, moved with her two children, Elisabeth and Friedrich, to 18 Weingarten in Naumberg, the site of the Nietzsche-Haus. She rented a bright, spacious apartment on the upper floor. In 1878 she bought the house and continued to live there until her death in 1897.
Since 1994, the Nietzsche-Haus has been open to the public as a museum. In October 2010, the Nietzsche Documentation Centre opened, dedicated to research into and critical engagement with Nietzsche.